Auto insurance FAQS

Residents of Kingwood, WV, and the surrounding area can benefit from the knowledge our team of independent agents at Smith Insurance Agency of West Virginia provides. If you have questions about auto insurance, we are here to help. 

What auto insurance is required in West Virginia?

In the state of West Virginia, all drivers are required to have liability insurance coverage to protect other drivers from an accident they may be responsible for. You must carry your insurance card in your vehicle at all times. You are required to have 

  • $25,000 for one accident, one injury
  • $50,000 for one accident, two or more injuries
  • $25,000 for property damage

If you cancel your auto insurance, you are required to turn your license plate back into the DMV, and if you drive without the proper insurance coverage, you are subject to having your driver’s license suspended. 

Why should I have collision and comprehensive coverage?

If you have an auto loan or are leasing a vehicle, you are required to have collision and comprehensive coverage. But beyond that, can you survive without your car? Do you have the money to repair or replace it without insurance? If you answer yes, then you don’t need this coverage, but for the average person, it is a necessity unless your vehicle has little value. 

What documents should I carry with me in my vehicle?

Your vehicle registration and insurance card must always be in your vehicle. You must also carry your driver’s license in the car, either on your person or in the glove box. You could potentially be fined for not having them with you. 

Contact Smith Insurance Agency of West Virginia in Kingwood, WV, when you are ready to review your current auto coverage or have questions to ask our experienced agents.