Is flood insurance required in West Virginia?

The Kingwood, WV area can be a great place to live and own property. If you do own real estate in this area, it is vital that you get the insurance that you need for it. One form of coverage that you may need to get could be flood insurance. There are several situations when having flood insurance will be a requirement for you. 

When In a Flood Zone

The first situation when you could be required to carry flood insurance is if you are in a flood zone. People all over the state of West Virginia could live in an area that FEMA considers to be at risk for flood damage. If you are in one of these zones, your mortgage lender will often be required to force you to carry flood insurance. 

Association Requirements

Another situation when you could be required to carry flood insurance is if you are in an area that has a home association. Community associations across the country want to make sure that property owners can rebuild their homes if they are damaged. When you get flood insurance, it will reduce the risk that your home will be damaged without any ability to restore it. Due to this, many associations located in flood zones do require that their property owners carry flood insurance at all times.

For those that are in the Kingwood, WV area, and need to get flood insurance to meet their requirements, contacting the team at the Smith Insurance Agency of West Virginia is a necessity. When you speak with the team at Smith Insurance Agency of West Virginia, you will receive the guidance and support you need to choose a quality flood insurance policy. This will ensure that your home is adequately covered against this risk. Contact our office for more information.